Thursday, March 1, 2007

Ubud, Found a Nest, Melting In!!!

Hello there,
How are you? I have a ton to say and have no idea where to start! Do I start with Malaysia or last night in the storm? Malaysia was wonderful, it felt like a little part of home for me in the way that it's so Indian and the Indian culture and food is something I really connect with. The mountains were just splendid, hiking for 6 hours through the jungle, trying to find the trail from time to time, hoping no bug comes up and bites me when I am far from anything, running into my friends-the family I told you about in Penang-on the same hiking trail, going the opposite direction them me. Who would have thought that we would have found each other there. We all hung out for a few nights, it was so lovely, they are filled with fun, light, laughter and love, it was brilliant to be around! As for the hike the secades (sp?) got so loud and there were so many, the sounds were just brilliant for my ears, I was bummed I didn't have my recorder with me that day. I was sad to leave the nice cool mountains and the friends I had gained while being there, but that is the way of the traveler, on to the next place until you decide to stop and then part of you wonders if you should be going or not-why is it us humans are so complicated that way, always wondering about the things we aren't doing??? Great question and a million of answers to it. Maybe just never satisfied, always wanting more or who knows. But moment we are satisfied is the moment we wonder something else, like should we be? Pretty funny eh?
Well I flew down to Bali on the 25th, flight was great, the airport was wild!!! Firstly my international roundtrip ticket was only $169.00 from KL to Bali- you won't get that any where in the US!!! I love the new airlines online, they are great! I got dropped at the airport and the first thing I looked up to see was something I had no idea they had in Malaysia-a Coffee Bean. Now, this isn't any big deal on one hand but my best girl friend, Mal, and I used to go there all the time and have the most delicious Hot Cocoa and talk for hours and well, after I went through security, got my bag checked, I came back out and went to order my hot cocoa. Mind you my breakfast that morning was 1.4RM and it's 3.5RM to the dollar so less then $.50. My hot cocoa, which a large is the size of our mediums in the US was 10.50RM, that is more than any meal I paid for in Malaysia, but I just had to. Sitting there, feeling quite adult-like, splurging on a little piece of home, thinking of Mal and watching the world go by as they played my favorite music-Usher, Alicia Keys and more!!! I was calm, at home, feeling warm, not needing for company, feeling complete, happy and alive. I ate my breakfast and decided to head for the international terminal. Now mind you, to see this international airport really, it probably is the size of one of our terminals, but it's the largest airport in Malaysia. I found my way to the international airport and there were 7 signs with doors glass doors underneith them-t1-t7. About 200-300 seats and a coffee shop and 2 or so duty free shops, that's it, and it was freezing. This country loves their A/C. The warmest spot I found was in the bathroom, which is where I decided to spend a good 20-30 minutes, brushing my teeth, flossing my teeth-yes in public, is a lovely new thing I love to do, and of course doing what you are to do in a toilet!!! ; )I had defrosted by then and came out in time to board. No seating assignment, you pay for anything you drink or eat, no movie, no worries!!! Coming in for landing is gorgeous seeing all the black beaches, the green lushness of the palm trees, the blue of the water and the sky gorgeous, then the plane turns and you see white sand beaches and red roofed houses, more and more large hotels and lots of people-it's Florida and then we gently land and get off the plane with no worries-greatest landing by the way, very soft.
The guy who stamped my passport decided that he should tell me that if I want an extension for my 2 month visa I could call him and he'll renew for one month for 1.5 million RPs, that's about $168.00ish, I think. Yes, they have lots of 000's on their money here. Well I asked him if it was legal and he said yes, as he told me not to put the number near my passport. Nope, I'm sorry, not legal, and I can fly legally to KL and back for that and not worry about being jailed, last thing I need!
Well, I got directly up to Ubud,the drive was beautiful between all the shopping areas, green and stunning. Yet I was shocked getting into Ubud to see so many vendors, so many taxi's so many people trying to get people into their taxi, shop, etc. I got to my guest house and it was beautiful, king size bed, with canopy and white, well off white mosquito nets pulled back at the corners-always wanted that, wooden dresser with mirror, a large bathroom with a tub that was taped on the bottom as it had a huge crack in it. But it was perfect for what I needed. The bamboo ceilings and porch with a table and chairs on it. Brilliant.
This is where every changes. My outwardness stopped, I went in, and went in I did. I basically went into my cave, my womb for at least half of the next 4 days. I knew Bali was a healing place for me, I had no idea how it was going to effect me. On the half days that I did come out, I went for walks, which were stunning, breath taking at times. The rice fields all around me, the blue skies, everything peaceful. I was in love in these moments, then the dogs would come and start barking, showing their teeth and my fantasy was gone-as I smile back now, laughing to myself, I had about 7, ratty, half haired, half bald, partially vicious dogs surrounding me when this little old lady came out and shewed them away for a second. Just long enough for me to start walking back to town realizing I wasn't going to come back through that again, I may not get another "savior". The dogs kept on my heals and then they left. Dogs here just love to hear themselves bark. It's amazing really how they can bark just to bark-pretty funny except when you want to sleep! ; )
Well my guest house was beautiful but have you ever lived with a family of about 8 adults and 10 children that get up around 5:30-6am every morning-babies crying, people talking, moving furniture and then the roosters going off? Well this is what it was like, and after 4 days of that I found my home, my nest. Hot and cold water, a yummy tub, a queen size bed, great neighbors and quiet, quiet, quiet.
Yesterday I spend the day batiking-you make a design and then you wax it and dye it and then it makes a brilliant colored shirt, pillow case what ever. I love doing this, so creative and so calming. Well I fell in love with it again yesterday. I start waxing today. I spend the day there and then off I went home to rest. Wow, I laid down and realized something was missing- no children!!! It was so quiet, only the loveliness of silence and the rain dripping off the roof outside and on the plastic roof in the bathroom. I napped for a while and then got up for a shower and realized-I CAN TAKE A BATH!!! This made me so happy!
I filled up the bath tub, poured myself in and I had a light show of lightning I could see through the ceiling, the thunder as sound and the rain pounding away on the roof. I laid there forever just feeling "this is what bali is about, this is heaven-laying in a tub, taking all the sounds of a storm in and relaxing in a warm tub". I'm sure it can get better than this but honestly I can see how. I was in love in that moment.
So Bali is growing on me, the outsides of town I'm falling deeper in love with, I'm working through missing my friends and being homesick from time to time and loving getting my creative work going with Batiking.
The people here are just so kind and lovely if you talk to them outside the shops and taxi's. They are really heartful, peaceful people. It's sad to see that they have had little business since the bombing a year ago October. Plus Java has had many problems in the past months, so tourism is low and that is why they want our business so much. They are used to a plentiful abundance of tourists and now most are gone. So it makes me feel compassion to where they are at and feel for them when I see restaurant empty. So if you want a place to holiday this is the time to come and they'd love to have you here, well so would I actually too.
Oh, I just finished a most brilliant book that you must read-THANK YOU EDGAR- it is an enlightening, lovely, heart string pulling, testing your beliefs on how people can be and how positive one lovely soul can be and what one could do for love-Star Girl, it is just a delight and there are times you won't be able to put it down. I laughed, I cried and I fell in love, and I didn't want it to end. I will cherish this book for a long time, it's so touching and I will read it again. Thanks for sharing this with me Edgar, I loved it!
Ok, that is enough for now. I love you all, I miss you and will talk soon and hopefully send photos too. Love and bliss, Heather

No comments: