Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Mountains are Good to Me!!!!

Hello there,

How are you? How is life treating you? Well I'm up here in the Blue Mountains, first in Mudgee (love that name) and now in Katoomba! The mountains are great and have been good to me here. Hiking everyday for 3-5 hours through the green carpeted forest up here at over 3,000 feet. It's so incredible how green a place can be. The trees go on forever without seeing any cities or buildings or houses. So stunning!

Even through the rain and fog it's just breath taking here. The air wakes me up as I walk out of hostel and onto the road to go to the trail head. It gets the nose running, the eyes watering and make one wonder "do I really want to do this" but after 20 minutes the blood is pumping and the heart is going and the passion for nature has awakened by the sight of the trees, fresh air and the bright red and blue birds hiding in the trees. So it's all worth it.

I am so in love with being in nature up here. And the people are so friendly, and the hospitality in the cafes are just lovely! They are all so friendly and making sure everyone has what they need. It's great to be around down to earth, caring, mountian people. So much less stress up here. I'm lovin' it. If it weren't so cold I'd consider staying. Yes it's spring here, but it's friggin' cold for my hot blooded body! But I have a feeling I'll be up here again.

I saw these 3 men coming out of the deli today with their dinners in hand in bags, all of them with those large full brimmed hats, jeans and all rough and Auzzie like. I just smiled as I past them, I am in Australia. These people really dress this way up here, it was great to see it live and in person.

Plus I had a great flashback of 2 or 3 years ago wanting to come Echo Point and Three Sisters in the Blue Mountains, and here I am, here, and loving it. Dreams coming true!

And the bonus is really feeling how authentically friendly these people are. I mean, I can talk with them on the street, on trails, in cafes, where ever and they are just so positive, full of laughter, conversation. So many of them seem to walk with a sparkle in their eye and a bounce in their step and just so happy. I went into an antique shop and the guy just talked my ear off about the short history of OZ and how the people are all from Europe, except the tribal people that you hardly see any more. He was just full of words, light and just wanting to share what he knew and he is from England, not from here.

So I could go on but I thought I'd keep this short. I am off to do some farm work, I think tomorrow, so it will be a new experience. I'm excited by it. Plus it's supposed to be sunny down there!

Oh oh, I almost forgot. I went to Kristi's family's house in Mudgee (I think that's the perfect dogs name, Love it) and we made homemade pizzas, OH MY GOODNESS! They were all about 2.5 inches thick, with all kinds of veggies and shrimp on mine, the others had meat and all kinds of things on theirs. YUMMY! Plus then we served up brownies that Kristi and I had made up earlier that day with Cherries and then played Scattagories! So much fun! I love games!

Ok, I am off now. Take care, big hugs to you, Love, Heather

No comments: