Monday, February 4, 2008

Yummy Kanga!!!!

Hey ya lovely friends,
How ya goin? I’m good! I’m here in lovely Tasmania, staying with my girlfriend Kristin & family, who I haven’t seen in 5 years and it’s been a great! She has truly been amazing letting me share her home, play with her son-who is just a beautiful 4.5 year old and be part of her family.

My first day here I went around gathering info on the Overland Trek, but after a few days my traveling companions canceled as we found out how costly it was going to be, just go to TREKKING! I can’t blame them, I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to go trekking so I thought to go anyway. After talking to some locals here I found that that trek is a human highway and if I wanted peace and nature it’s not the trail to go on. So I have let it go and now I have found a million other trails to trek that don’t charge a huge fee to go on! So that is the plan. I have never trekked alone but it’s time for an adventure and something new, or I’ll meet up with someone along the way!!! ; ) It’s all good living day to day seeing what gifts this life will give.

So Kristin took me on some gorgeous hikes up in the Mt Fields National Park and it was just stunning. She loves to hike too so we had a blast hiking, catching up and exploring.

I absolutely love being around her son. This past weekend Kristin had a Cinco De Mayo Fiesta!!!! They don’t celebrate this so it didn’t matter that it was in February and they had to dress up Mexico style!!! They came with great costumes and we had tons of guacamole and chips, her friend prepared some lovely food, not sure what it was called but yummy, fried quesdias, Margarita’s and everyone was happy with the Coronas. The great part was when it came Sunday morning everyone was a little tired and I laid in bed with Ollie, her son, as he played with my hair and cuddled with me and watched Shrek II and later The Incredibles-man I love cartoons! He was just adorable curled up in my arms and entangling his little hands in my hair. Just precious.

I had Roo! Yep that is right, as much as I protested I did not want to eat these hoppity hop hop animals, I broke down when Kristin said how she liked it better then any other meat as well as it healthier then other meat. So I had Kangaroo at her house, it was lovely! It had the texture of steak but had the flavor of liver and steak mixed but better. Luckily I like liver-though I haven’t had it in years, but it wasn’t a strong flavor of liver, but just enough. There was no fat on this thing at all, just pure really red meat. It was so good, filling and you didn’t need much to fill ya. Yummy!

We went on another hike in the sprinkling air on Sunday and it was just as lovely even in that weather. It’s nice hiking all around this area. It’s also nice there is nothing to bite cha, but snakes that are highly poisoness. They actually take the cat in at night so it doesn’t kill birds and night critters. Whereas in Cali we worry about what’s going to eat the cat.

So Kristin and have found refuge at Starbucks from time to time, reading and just letting life be and enjoying the moment. It’s nice to have a little piece of home from time to time.

I decided to finally cleanse, I’ve talked about it forever now, but I have finally started and Kristin decided to join me. So we have been drinking our diet the past two days now. The first day was hard as I was cold, didn’t do much and hungry with yummy food that is very bad for me in the fridge. But I was good, I got out and hiked, had no food and went to bed feeling really great and slept like a baby! Today’s been great as I got up, went straight for a hike, clearing my thoughts and breathing in the trees and smelling nature and now I’m in town trying to choose which trail I’m going on! This is the difficulty with having such a lovely hiking island, how to choose. But luckily after some calls, found out many don’t have water, and so I won’t be going there. The idea of trekking with water has no appeal to me.

In the next few days I’ll be off for some trekking and exploring Tas. It will be nice to see some more of this lovely island between the mainland and NZ. Funny many feel that Tas is it’s own country, they can keep saying it, but it’s not, it’s still part of OZ.

I am learning more of the language here as Kristin and I talk about it all the time. It’s so fun. They love shortening things but then sometimes they lengthen words by putting a “y or ie” at the end of a word.

I am good, I’d love to hear from you, see how you are. Keep smiling, stayin’ positive and cherishing each moment. I send you great big hugs. Love, Heather

No comments: